Diễn đàn rao vặt Hà Giang
Bạn có muốn phản ứng với tin nhắn này? Vui lòng đăng ký diễn đàn trong một vài cú nhấp chuột hoặc đăng nhập để tiếp tục.
Diễn đàn rao vặt Hà Giang

You are not connected. Please login or register

Family of beaten Giants fan grateful for arrest

Go down  Thông điệp [Trang 1 trong tổng số 1 trang]



SAN FRANCISCO – Relatives of a San Francisco Giants fan who was brutally beaten outside Dodger Stadium two months ago were grateful Monday after police arrested a suspect with a violent criminal record.

The parents and two sisters of Bryan Stow made a brief appearance outside San Francisco General Hospital, looking relieved but still shaken by the nearly two-month ordeal of caring for the badly injured father of two and awaiting news that his attackers had been found.

Stow, a 42-year-old paramedic, remains in critical but stable condition under heavy sedation to prevent seizures caused by the traumatic brain injury he suffered in the March 31 attack.

Los Angeles police raided an East Hollywood apartment building Sunday and arrested Giovanni Ramirez, 31, on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon. The case was submitted to the Los Angeles County district attorney's office and was under review.

Ramirez has a violent past, according to court records. In 1999, he pleaded guilty to one count of attempted robbery after he grabbed a purse from a woman boarding a bus and she was thrown to the ground.

He was sentenced to a year in jail and placed on three years of probation. An assault charge was dropped by prosecutors.

In 2005, Ramirez was convicted of possession of a firearm by a felon. Records indicate he served about 15 months and was released on parole on Dec. 30, 2006.

Two drug-related charges as well as one count of firing a weapon in public were dismissed.

Records obtained by The Associated Press show Ramirez sometimes went by the moniker "Bug Daddy Laine." His parole photograph shows multiple tattoos on his neck, including a dollar sign and the Dodgers' "LA" logo, yet his parole agent made no note of these markings in his file.

The photograph, which depicts Ramirez with a bald head and a light mustache, bears some similarity to the composite sketch released by authorities.

The AP did not immediately publish the photograph because police said it could jeopardize an upcoming suspect line-up.

Police had not identified a second attacker and a woman suspected of driving the pair from the scene. Police Chief Charlie Beck called Ramirez the main aggressor.

Ramirez, of Los Angeles, was being held on $1 million bail. Beck did not know if Ramirez had hired an attorney.

Prudencia Strong, 72, recalled the attempted robbery by Ramirez in November 1998 and said she fears for her own safety, even after learning about his arrest.

She said she was headed to her job as a maid at a Century City hotel when she felt a strong tug from behind while standing on a step in the bus. She fell to the ground and broke a finger on her left hand when it struck a newsstand.

Fortunately, she was able to hail a police officer, and Ramirez was captured soon after in a nearby parking lot.

"I was so scared," said Strong, who added she was robbed two more times at the same bus stop by different thugs. "Every morning I looked around and around to see if someone was coming."

She believes having her name made public will bring her undue attention from cohorts of Ramirez.

"I have no defense myself," Strong said. "I think he or his friends could do this again to somebody."

Stow's family members never gave up hope that someone would be arrested, said his sister Erin Collins. They thanked the Los Angeles Police Department for its "exhaustive efforts."

"Bryan has a long road ahead of him, but we are thankful that this suspect is in custody and is unable to do this to another family," Collins said.

A tip from a parole officer late last week gave detectives the break they'd sought for seven weeks following the attack on Stow that occurred in a stadium parking lot after the Dodgers' season opener.

Ramirez was detained in the early morning raid by detectives and SWAT team members. He had not been staying at the address recorded with the parole office and was staying with friends in East Hollywood, police Detective Jose Carillo said.

Ramirez was among several people detained for questioning after police served search warrants and seized evidence in the apartment building and a home, police said in a statement.

All except Ramirez were expected to be released, the statement said.

Rewards totaling $250,000 were offered for information leading to arrests.


Risling reported from Los Angeles. Associated Press writer Thomas Watkins contributed to this report from Los Angeles.


Về Đầu Trang  Thông điệp [Trang 1 trong tổng số 1 trang]

Permissions in this forum:
Bạn không có quyền trả lời bài viết